Perfectly Easy Protein Shakes
I don't eat enough fruit. Sometimes Mom's appetite isn't as hearty as it should be. And then there are mornings when we just want to throw together a quick healthy breakfast that doesn't involve the stove or cold cereal.
Which is when I get out my trust blender and throw together a protein shake. There are as many variations as there are ingredients in your pantry, but here are my essentials:
- One bannana. The potassium is good for Mom since she has to take a lot of water pills, which sometimes results in leg cramps.
- A handful of strawberries or blueberries (I've now started buying the large bags of frozen berries from Costco, so I don't have to worry about the cost of getting fresh fruit out of season).
- Half a cup of plain non-fat Greek yogurt. It's high in protein.
- A scoop of protein powder, the one we use also has vitamins in the mix.
- A cup of low fat milk. Although I'll probably change this to Almond Milk eventually.
- A handful of ice.
- I'll probably begin adding a tablespoon of flaxseed in the future.
Blend to the consistency you like. This makes enough for two large shakes.
Mission Accomplished. And it's delicious.