I love chicken pot pie. Unfortunately, the frozen, store-bought variety can be heavy on calories, sodium, and enough dough to leave you feeling like you've eaten a cardboard box.
I've come up with an incredibly quick, and relatively light, alternative that requires only FOUR ingredients, making it perfect for an easy week-night dinner.
2 cups of chopped or shredded chicken meat from a rotisserie chicken
2 cups mixed frozen vegetables (microwaved for 1 minute on high to thaw)
1 package crescent roll pastry dough
1 can cream of chicken soup -or- better yet, prepare your own quick (and easy) béchamel sauce (butter, flour, and milk)
Preheat oven to 350 F.
I used individual oven-proof soup bowls. However, you could also use one larger (2-quart) casserole dish.
1. Layer chicken and vegetables in the bottom of the individual soup bowl or casserole dish
2. Heat cream soup or béchamel sauce, pour over chicken and vegetables.
3. Gently stir soup and chicken and vegetables to evenly distribute.
4. Drape crescent roll pastry over bowl/casserole.
5. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes until pastry is golden.
The result is the perfect comfort food...not too heavy, and wonderfully delicious. Try this recipe once and it will become one of your family's favorites.